Monday, April 29, 2013

Design Thinking (Spring Semester)

'Mastery of Making' Sketches
template sketch
tools sketches

'Mastery of Making' Reflection
I learned many things from Stephanie while whittling, many of them not just physical techniques.  While I was struggling with my timid and shaky cuts, she sagely stated that “Confidence is key to whittling;” if your cuts are not confident, it will show.  This struck me as a core value that I should aspire to in my work; if I doubt myself, my work will clearly show it, and suffer for it.  As I observed her working, I also noticed that patience is essential to whittling.  This is an aspect that I do not often exhibit while working, especially when I’m attempting to use materials that I’m unfamiliar with.  Her methodical nature while working also exemplifies Stephanie’s diligence and methodical focus on what she’s doing.  This type of dedication is what has allowed her to both acquire this skill and perfect it.  I also believe that her whittling displays an exceptional example of foresight; her ability to see a bird in a plain wood block, the potential masterpiece out of an unpromising looking rectangle, is astounding.  If we are to accept the act of making as the act of seeing, knowing how bridge the gap between potential and realization, then Stephanie is a true master of making.  I have learned much from her about the values of confidence, patience, diligence, and foresight, which will continue to inspire me in my work and life.

Design Thought Model Sketches

Final Thought Model Manifesto
 I love to tell stories visually. The sagas depicted by animation companies such as Disney and Pixar have always enthralled me with their depth of thought and emotion. Ever since I was little, I have always loved creating my own characters and their subsequent histories and adventures. Constructing engaging narratives and entertainment for viewers to enjoy is my primary goal when I work. I value depth in both character personalities and in their stories, which creates the emotional and mental engagement of the viewer. Hopefully, they may even become so engaged in the stories I tell that they become lost in a willing suspension of disbelief as they connect with my creations.

My design process is often full of mental roadblocks; when I try to force my way through a situation, I often get frustrated and stuck. Thus, I have learned that rather than trying to direct my thought process, it is more about uncovering unexpected solutions through a route of discovery. A significant part of my design thought process is the way I absorb visual influences and combine them into new aspects in my work. These precedents of the images that I have taken in combine with my own personal experiences, metaphorically creating the unshaped rock that is the start of a design problem. Working on my projects, I have learned to slowly chip away the aspects that are not applicable to a certain problem (the chipping process represents iterative drawings, tests, and models). Often, I save this excess ‘debris’ to use for future projects, other problems, and different solutions. What might not be a good idea now could potentially be formed into a better idea later. Usually I combine and mix several influences and ‘debris’ ideas, creating a new rock to dig through, and then explore and tweak it into something entirely new. Ultimately, my thought process is all about revealing unexpected ideas, uncovering them from a mass of influences and personal preferences. By slowly chipping away at my ‘rock,’ a difficult and time-consuming process that requires both force and dedication, I can come to discover a possible solution. This solution may be based on my many influences, but in the end I have reshaped it to reveal something entirely new and engaging.

I order to be able to create engaging new stories for viewers to enjoy, I must continue viewing and absorbing the ideas of others; every creative item that I come into contact with is appreciated, digested, and eventually spit out again to be experienced in an entirely new light. By collecting these precedents, I am adding fuel and substance to my own future projects. Amassing these influences together, my thought process allows me to slowly chip away the excess to discover and reveal my own ideas. Eventually, I hope that my own work will one day become an inspiration to aspiring artists, for them to enjoy, absorb, and create something new, just as I do today, and will continue doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment