Friday, October 5, 2012

Design Thinking - Design Excercise 1

Initial Sketches



Explanation and Evaluation of Process
            I started this project by listing my biggest strengths and weaknesses (shown on the first page of initial sketches).  The most hindering weakness that I have always been burdened with is a fear of the unknown, uncertainty, and new things.  My innate nervous, neurotic nature makes it incredibly hard for me to branch out of my comfort zone, because I’d much rather feel safe and comfortable than scared and anxious.  Elizabeth Gilbert poses the question in her TED Talk, is it logical to be afraid of the work you’re going to do? Considering the intense expectations put on artists to create greatness and constantly out-do themselves, I believe that it is, to a certain extent.  To design a wearable piece to help me conquer this weakness and fear of a new design process, I began thinking of and sketching pieces of armor that would bring me protection, confidence, courage, and inspiration, pieces such as shields and helmets; these concepts that I aspired to achieve by wearing my piece (protection, confidence, etc.)  acted as my ‘launch pad’ while I used the ‘first principle’ thinking method to start designing armor from these initial concepts.  Jessica Helfland’s writing on the art of thinking through making encouraged me to focus on ‘imagination first, logic later’ in my sketches.  This concept allowed me to freely sketch and explore any and all ideas I had, without concern of being limited by resources or logic.  Through my sketches, my varying concepts of safety began to combine with thoughts of tribal masks.  By utilizing the ‘combining’ thinking method, the idea of a scary helmet-mask came to me (combining concepts of protection, courage, and fear).  My helmet-mask hybrid, through use of the ‘analogy’ thinking method, became symbolic of me scaring away my own fears by becoming more threatening than the things which intimidate me.  With the vague idea of a mask in mind, I ventured out to Home Depot and began collecting a myriad of metal objects which caught my eye.  I had ideas of basic shapes that I wanted, but no idea how the pieces would connect or attach; this open-minded, ‘lateral’ thinking method allowed me to amass a wide variety of materials with which to work; the once mechanically-inclined metal pieces were now to be used as sculptural elements, not the purpose for which they were originally designed.  After I began assembling these parts, I returned to sketching to refine my ideas of how to connect the physical materials I now had in my arsenal.  This helped me visualize how everything would look in the final version.  The final helmet-mask is heavily inspired by a coyote, an animal that has acted as a muse to me for many years.  Elizabeth Gilbert addresses the idea in her TED Talk that the creative process does not need to be a torment (as I had previously viewed it), but can instead be a conversation between the artist and their muse.  By utilizing my muse to overcome my fears of change and new experiences, I am freeing myself to keep creating with a new confidence which pushes me to try new things.

Final Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment