Monday, October 1, 2012

Hectic Hillsborough

For my joiner project, I attempted to showcase the hectic nature of an intersection on Hillsborough Street.  Because of the high level of activity in the area, I thought it would be the perfect location to explore different perspectives and the passage of time, as often is portrayed in photocubism.  I took many photos from varying angles and at several times of day and loosely composited them together.  I took this loose approach to suggest the constant changing nature and business of the scene, allowing the viewer’s eye to wander and explore.  I included connecting elements and leading lines (such as the crosswalk leading up from the bottom right to the center, and the stoplight post leading from the top right to the left) to give the viewer some guidance, while still allowing them to discover the scene for themselves.  I used the strong leading line of the stoplight post to lead the eye deliberately from right to left, opposite of how we are naturally inclined to read things, to create a stronger sense of rhythm throughout the composition.  This line is enhanced through the gradual shift from mostly day photos to mostly night photos from right to left, suggesting the cycling time of day.  The overall circular viewing path of the image suggests this constant change in time.   The critiques I received on VoiceThread influenced a lot of these decisions and were incredibly helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment